The first settlers arrived on Sanibel Island in 1833. Quick growth over the next 50 years sparked calls for a lighthouse to help with commerce. By the late 1870’s travel in the Gulf of Mexico demanded a lighthouse. The tower opened in August 1884. Since 1950, the U.S. Coast Guard property around the lighthouse has been a wildlife refuge.
The lighthouse beach on Sanibel Island is a haven for sunbathers and fishermen.
The lighthouse is surrounded by a wildlife refuge that includes beaches, grasslands, and a fishing pier that is popular with fishermen and wading birds.
Stay tuned for a post related to the fishing pier and birding at the lighthouse beach.